Updated: August 8th, 2022
Just like an ergonomic office chair, your drum throne has to be comfortable enough to support you during long practice sessions and energetic performances. While you might be tempted to save your money and purchase a cheap drum throne, you’re likely to regret it. Luckily, some of the best drum thrones on the market are fairly affordable
Quick Links: Our Top 5 Picks:
- DW Drum Workshop Heavy-Duty Air Lift Drum Throne
- Gibraltar 9608MB
- Gibraltar 6608 Drum Throne
- Mapex Drum Throne T770
- ROC-N-SOC Original Saddle Drum Throne
When you first look at a drum throne, you see a simple, padded stool. But there’s a lot more to these seats than meets the eye!
- Seat style –“Tractor” style seats may be more comfortable than round ones, depending on your shape, size, and personal preference. Round seats offer a good level of versatility, so pick whichever one is most comfortable for you.
- Adjustability –Look for a drum throne with quality components underneath. After all, the base is what ultimately supports you, and you want maximum adjustability to ensure that you can find the most comfortable position possible.
- Your size and weight–If you’re larger than the average person, you should check weight ratings as may need a heavy-duty drum throne. Tall drummers should double-check maximum seat height to ensure that they won’t be playing in a cramped or crouched position.
- Backrest – Some drummers like backrests while others can’t stand them. This is a completely personal choice. If you like the idea of a back rest but you aren’t sure if it’s for you, consider a model that gives you the option of adding a backrest if you want to. This way, you can enjoy more versatility.
With these considerations and a few others in mind, we’ve shortlisted five of the best drum thrones on the market.
Final Considerations when Choosing the Right Drum Throne
If you’ve been drumming for a while, then you already know that no two drum thrones are created equal! Here are just a few more things to keep in mind as you examine your options.
- Portability: If you plan to travel a lot and you’re low on space, then it’s a good idea to look for a drum throne with a folding base. Weight contributes to portability too. There are quite a few options out there that manage to offer a good combination of comfort and portability, so you don’t have to sacrifice either.
- Stability: Four-legged drum thrones typically offer better stability than three-legged varieties, although some manufacturers add stability via wider “Clydesdale” style rubber feet. The level of stability required does depend on how active your playing style is, so keep this in mind as you make your choice.
- Price: Quality drum thrones aren’t exactly cheap. The good news is that a great throne will help keep you comfortable so that you can focus on the rhythm, even when you’re playing for hours at a time. Additionally, a quality throne is likely to last far longer than a cheap one, so you don’t end up spending even more money in the future. While it’s not necessary to purchase the most expensive drum throne on the market, this is a very important piece of equipment. It’s a very good idea to treat yourself to the best one you can afford. We found that thrones averaging $120-$150 were among the most popular with all but the highest-level players.
A drum throne is much more than a simple seat. With the right one, you’ll enjoy a good combination of comfort and support, so you can deliver the best performance possible.